Due to our coming late to the table of zOS, we have an enormous load of
ptf's to bring us up to the present day, which I requested from ShopZ. When
they were received it was 4 compressed tapes! Is there a way to have IBM
break this up so we could apply them much easier?

You don't have to apply everything on the tapes at once.

It sounds like you have in hand 4 compressed tapes worth of PTFs, and I'll assume you haven't done anything yet with them. Go ahead and SMP/E RECEIVE all of the PTFs from all 4 tapes. This merely loads them from tape into the SMPPTS data set(s) and the global zone... it does not affect your target system. You will probably have to define one or more SMPPTS spill data sets to contain all the PTFs.

After you have them staged in the global zone and SMPPTS data sets, you can then pick and choose which subset you want to apply to your target system; you don't have to apply them all at once. As already mentioned, the two most common selection methods are by FMID and by SOURCEID. By FMID should be pretty obvious, and by SOURCEID for example, you can pick the RSU level you want.

Let us know if you have more specific questions.

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, SMP/E Development