Joel wrote on 03/08/2005 12:32:05 PM:

> Has anyone else out there looked at the overhead of encrypting all
> tapes, which seems to be the approach some are advocating?  The obvious
> problem from the standpoint of efficiency is that good encryption of the
> data, which destroys apparent patterns in the data, will make tape
> hardware compression perform poorly.  It seems at present that if one
> wants to do tape encryption under MVS, you are also pretty much also
> forced to also do data compression (first) to avoid tripling the amount
> of physical tape required.  You incur not only the CP overhead of of the
> encryption, but that of compression as well.

Haven't looked into it, but seems a can of worms. As well as all the
overhead issues, what about;
- DR,
- all those warehouses full of tapes/carts you have (currently
unencrypted),
- DASD,
- data going in/out to terminals,
- third parties you need to send data to ...

We had a small roadshow from IBM yesterday on the z9 - part of this
concentrated on encryption requirements.
This is obviously a hot button - Terri (I believe her name was) basically
said "watch this space - we are onto it".
Doesn't help now, and may not help non-z9 customers in the future; who
knows.

Shane ...