On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:48:43 -0500 Hank Medler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>Does anyone happen to know the QNAME that is used by IDCAMS for member
:>deletion when using the FILE parameter on the DELETE statement? Is it
:>SYSZOPEN? I read through z/OS 1.6 DFSMS Access Method Services for Catalogs
:>manual, but I don't see any indication of what is happening under the
:>covers. In fact, I don't even see any reference to using the FILE parameter
:>in the section on using DELETE either (which seemed odd to me...I could be
:>blind though).

:>The reason I am asking is because I would like to be able to serialize the
:>member update/deletion of a PDS through standard IBM utilities instead of
:>going the Assembler route (use IEBUPDTE for ADD/Replace and IDCAMS to
:>delete). The QNAME SYSZOPEN is rumored to be used for the IBM Utilities as
:>of DFP 2.3 (didn't see any specifics in DFSMSdfp's Diagnosis manual
:>either). If IEBUPDTE is using SYSZOPEN to create/update members within a
:>PDS and IDCAMS is using SYSZOPEN as an exclusive Enqueue for member
:>deletion, then serialization of the PDS is ensured.

:>Or is all of this overkill? On the flip side of the coin, is the Assembler
:>solution still the only way to retain integrity of the PDS structure? And
:>yet a third question, does anyone else use other standard utilities in
:>order to perform the update/deletion of members for a PDS?

Nowadays one gets an abend if more than one job opens the same PDS for output.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com