On  4-Aug-2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (McKown, John) wrote:

> > My impression is that a "dumbed down interface" is the one
> > the other guy uses.
>
> My concept of a "dumbed down interface" is really "an interface which
> can be used by ignorant, untrained, underpaid, unskilled employees". One
> system here had a design criterion of allowing high school kids to be
> able to use it after less than one day of training. Such employees are
> easier to replace.

Certainly the ISPF editor doesn't require more than a day of training for the
way most programmers use it.

Most interfaces can be used (sort of) without much changing.   Actually, Windows
took a bit longer the first time than older interfaces.

Maybe you are comparing Unix editors.   "Full screen" is dumbed down.   Hmmm, or
IBM mainframe editors.