Ted, you're right that a CMC was never required.  It was something that
became somewhat a standard practice in installations with large SNA
networks.  Creating a single system or LPAR that acted as a central network
hub for SNA connections, created a more stable network environment because
there was no other "work" performed on that machine that could jeopardize
the stability.  It just managed the network with connections physically
flowing through it to other machines in the network.  If any of the "other"
machines took an outage, only connections to that specific machine suffered
and the rest of the network continued normal operations.

I never saw any documentation on using a CMC or anything indicating it was a
"supported" environment.  If all the hardware and software components were
at supported levels, of course it was supported.  It was just a commonly
used concept for creating a stable network as far as I know.

In a TCP/IP network you don't have the same challenges that you do in a SNA
network.  Typically a system of routers and switches take care of the
traffic routing to the proper final destination.  Since there is no single
point of failure, I don't see that a CMC machine will really buy you
anything.  It could be used for something like having all TN3270 sessions
connect to one central machine and then using SNA connections to distributed
applications, but for protocols such as FTP it would not really help you in
any way.

Chuck Arney
illustro Systems International, LLC
http://www.illustro.com
Access 3270 data from anywhere with z/XML-Host
Access 3270 apps from the web with z/Web-Host
Access CMS minidisks from OS/390 or VSE with CMSACCess
Voice: 972-296-6166