Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
WatASS actually existed - It was called Assembler G. There was even some code in a HASP Routine that processed Object Decks to support the Object Decks it output (I think it had to do with better RLD Cards where ASMG output the cards with more entries per card in some cases compared with the IBM ASMF/ASMH Assemblers).

It had other peculiarities. "Mad man" Metz used SETCs with long strings to test whether or not the running assembler was G or IBM's F, which truncated at 8 bytes. Waterloo G if I recall correctly supported 80 bytes.

And it had a peculiarity that never got fixed. When you had a character string with embedded apostrophes, properly doubled, and the first of the pair landed in column 71, the compiler treated the continuation as comments.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT