>One of our users has become interested in encrypting a job's sysout
before
>sending it to a email address. We currently use XMITPIP to package the
data for
>emailing the data. This is only an interest at this point, there is no
money to
>spend on fancy products with components on both z/OS and WinXP. I have
been
>asked to see if there is some free programs, one for z/OS to encrypt the
data
>(DES, 3DES, AES have been mentioned), and one for the WinXP workstation
>decrypt the data file.
>Does anyone have some pointers to such programs?

OK, I think I've got a simple answer for you. The sendmail program, which
comes with z/OS, does support SMTP transmission via an SSL or TLS
encrypted link.  Most receiving servers should support an encrypted SMTP
e-mail transport.  (z/OS sendmail has supported SSL/TLS for some time
now.)

z/OS sendmail uses System SSL to get the job done, and that's good because
that should allow you to take advantage of any crypto hardware you might
have installed.

I think that'll get the job done for you unless I'm missing something in
your question.  Although the "no money" part in your question bothers me
in the abstract.  What would it cost if someone unauthorized got access to
these data?  If the answer is zero, don't bother encrypting it.  If the
answer is non-zero, why isn't there money available?  (Encryption is like
insurance, after all.  If you can't afford insurance then it's your risk
to bear, and if you're unlucky you could be out of business or in prison
or both.)  BUT I DIGRESS :-)...  In this case there probably is a "no
money" solution, at least for the e-mail transport hop.

Now, what happens when there's the next Windows worm and these data -- now
sitting on the Windows system -- get transmitted by the worm to St.
Petersburg, Russia (to pick a random city) where someone then enjoys
several high credit card limits?  And now we've stumbled into potentially
the next part of your more holistic problem.  Or if the data are in an
Excel spreadsheet and someone steals that notebook computer from an
airport, guess what?  It's compromised.

Have I got you thinking yet? :-)

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Software Architect, Enterprise Transformation
IBM Americas zSeries/z9 Software
NEW Phone: +1 312 529 1612 (eff. 1 Sept. 2005)
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (PGP key available.)