In a recent note, Ted MacNEIL said:

> Date:         Fri, 26 Aug 2005 00:00:00 GMT
>
> >He's got it down (now) to a pretty simple formula: "the maximum number
> of SAM buffers (BUFNO=) should be MIN ( 30 , 240K/BLKSIZE).
>
> 1996. Still a little old, but much closer to reality.

And, I am suspicious of any formula with apparently arbitrary
and fairly large constants.

Why 30?  Does it depend on some queuing parameter built in to
z/OS?  What if that changes in a future release?

Why 240K?  Does that depend on device geometry?  Or in some
memory management parameter built in to z/OS?  What if those
change with new hardware, or with the next z/OS release?

Why is the nuclear force 137 times stronger than the
electromagnetic force?

I confess I haven't read Barry.  (Nor Feynman.)

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL