Ed Gould wrote:

Bill,

Thanks for reminding me of this issue.

How do companies handle the installation and turning new cobol compilers over to the end users?

1. Do you just install it and let the programmers compile cobol programs as they normally do?

2. recompile all known cobol programs

3. let them play with it for X amount of time in a sandbox machine before going towards a full installation.

4. Let you change management program loose and let it do all the work.

6 . Role it out as part of a new OS

7. Other

Just get new compiler with new OS release.
Obviously it is tested in sandbox system.
It is also good idea to recompile all the programs, it allows you to detect dropped (unused) modules, and usually few programs with some obsolete code. Eductation of new features ? What new (I mean *new*: 1-3 years old) features are so important and worth to learn about ? I'd rather suggest general COBOL education, regardless of the age of the features, techniques. Something for newbies, for medium-advanced and for experienced users. At least IBM starts and ends the education with single AD40 course (ok, there are also CICS-related CI17 and CI18).

Just my $0.02
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland