Ed Gould wrote:
On Aug 27, 2005, at 3:00 PM, Steve Comstock wrote:

Ed Gould wrote:

Bill,
Thanks for reminding me of this issue.
How do companies handle the installation and turning new cobol compilers over to the end users? 1. Do you just install it and let the programmers compile cobol programs as they normally do?
2. recompile all known cobol programs
3. let them play with it for X amount of time in a sandbox machine before going towards a full installation.
4. Let you change management program loose and let it do all the work.
6 . Role it out as part of a new OS
7. Other
Thanks,
Ed

Whatever they do, they don't train their people on the differences
and new features.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock

Steve,

Extremely valid point. But then is there a really good document that does show the differences and how they could take advantage of the new features?

Ed,

Well, that's our job. We take the various docs and postings
and SHARE handouts, test things, organize them, and package
them in some short courses. Along these lines:

Converting to COBOL for OS/390 & VM (2 days)
  which focuses on what's gone and what's new and
  the conversion process
see: http://www.trainersfriend.com/COBOL_Courses/D200descrpt.htm

Enterprise COBOL Update I: Essentials (2 days)
  which focuses only on new stuff, from COBOL II
  up through Enterprise COBOL 3.4
see: http://www.trainersfriend.com/COBOL_Courses/d704descr.htm

Enterprise COBOL Update II: Unicode and XML Support (1 day)
  which focuses on just those two aspects of the
  newer compilers
see: http://www.trainersfriend.com/COBOL_Courses/d705descr.htm

In addition, all our standard COBOL courses use the
features of the Enterprise compilers, so even the
intro course includes some mention of Unicode (National)
data types and the Advanced COBOL course includes
dynamic allocation of files from COBOL programs.

And all our courses are that way: we integrate latest
information from z/OS components and products such as
JCL, ISPF, COBOL, PL/I, C, REXX, TSO, DB2, CICS, LE,
and z/OS UNIX. Next month will see availability of
z/OS 1.7, COBOL 3.4, and the z9 series; I'm working
hard to have the relevant information in our courses
by the end of September.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock