In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on
08/29/2005
   at 01:08 PM, Bill Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I guess (but am not even certain of this) that *IF* you have the
>resources to do a "mass recompile", that it doesn't HURT.  However,
>if doing so (and more importantly making certain that everything that
>NEEDS testing GETS tested)

I wasn't recommending recompiling in order to put new object code into
production. Neither of the two reasons that I gave for the recompile
requires testing the object code. In fact, "so that you can schedule
eventual remediation." wouldn't make much sense if you were doing the
remediation immediately.

>rather than making every application program be recompiled and
>retested

Again, I never suggested retesting as part of the compiler migration.
I suggested *scheduling* remediation of those programs that wouldn't
compile.