Michael Cleary wrote:

Thanks Chris, your comments are always valuable.

We do not have JVM or DB2 V8.

What I am trying to test before having a crisis or outage is how TMON and
RMF can be used to easily identify 64-bit virtual users who are impacting
the system.

I'm not familiar with any specific RMF facilities for detecting 64-bit programs or virtual storage. Storage is storage and the 64-bit variety doesn't even create page tables until referenced!

I have seen 64-bit virtual war stories posted here,

I must have missed those war stories. Could you please post links to the archives? I would like to read them.

We have been exploiting 64-bit virtual storage in our products since October, 2002. Because we were one of the first exploiters, we generated several APARs against RSM (both from in-house testing and via customers in the field). That's all ancient history now. The remaining issues of which I'm aware stem from system programmers not "getting off their duff" (to quote Greg Dyck from http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0504&L=ibm-main&P=R50560) in order to specify a reasonable default MEMLIMIT value in SMFPRMxx.

| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |
| Mgr, Research & Development    | [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
| Phoenix Software International | Tel: (310) 338-0400 x318       |
| 5200 W Century Blvd, Suite 800 | Fax: (310) 338-0801            |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | http://www.phoenixsoftware.com |