Being the original questioner, I will say that anything I might write
for the "Librarian" functionality would probably be written in Perl.
Perl is fairly transportable. However, I am likely to end up using
modules from CPAN for utility functions (such an ftp and http
functions). I don't know how portable the various CPAN modules are. It
most likely varies greatly.

My main concern at this point, beyond my ability, is whether IBM
corporation could sue me. I've read so much about this sort of thing
that I'm intimidated (as was the intent). Also, could IBM do something
due to the fact that my code would need to access their, publicly
accessable, web pages? For an example, the first "load" to do is via

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/df/ebrscrt.des

That is a very simple text document which lists the other descriptor
files. Parsing up these files should be so simple that even I could
write a program to do it. But the legalities stymie me. I'm a coward, I
guess.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.