In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:
>List,
>
>I downloaded from
>http://www.mainframeweek.com/journals/articles/0080/A+REXX+program+to+list+GDG+information
>a handy little REXX program.  In the program were the following lines:
>
>if  zedlmsg^="" then
>
>if  left(j2g_data,4)//4^=0 |,
>
>if  rc^=0 then
>
>In all cases, when I issue a TSO GDG filename, TSO complained about these
>statements.  Since I didn't recognize what the ^ character was supposed to
>do, I deleted it from all 3 statements and the program ran fine and
>produced expected results.
>
>But just in case, does anyone know what the ^ is supposed to represent?  My
>search in REXX documentation has been futile.

I suspect that its am ascii-ebcdic translation bug.

They probably should have been a not sign, x'5F'.

--
Rich Greenberg Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com    + 1 770 321 6507
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.   VM'er since CP-67