point was to make sure it was reading 18, if he uses 3490E how will he know
what it was reading it as, he will only know it was read successfully
by using 3480 he knows for sure.

                      "R.S."

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU

                      ANK.COM.PL>                  cc:

                      Sent by: IBM                 Subject:  Re: Does anyone
have a 3480?
                      Mainframe Discussion

                      List

                      <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU

                      09/20/2005 11:48 AM

                      Please respond to IBM

                      Mainframe Discussion

                      List

Sylvia Gorman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to make a 3490-F11 create 18 track 3480 type tapes.  I
> believe I may have succeeded, but the real test is in seeing if the tape
> I created can be read by a 3480 drive.  So, I'm wondering if anyone with
> 3480 drives would be willing to read a tape for me and let me know if it
> works.

AFAIK you cannot. All you can is to write 36-track data on CST cart.
You can write 18-track data on CST cart and then read it in 36-track drive.
Hints: 18-track is 3480 (also 3480X, 3490), 36-track is 3490E.
36-track drive can write 36-track data and *read* 18-track data.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland