On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:45:39 -0600, Paul Gilmartin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In a recent note, Mark Zelden said:
>

>> IDCAMS works good for 1-15.   This exec should work fine for
>> anything else.
>>
>The RM states a maximum of 16.  Does not state a minimum.
>Empirically, 0 works.

Yep.  My bad.. I meant to say 0-15.  But if you want zero,
you can don't need anything but IEFBR14.

> Empirically, 16 causes immediate
>termination of IDCAMS.  This may be documented elsewhere
>than in the SET command.

I guess that is why I left off 16 from my list. You also get a warning
msg with it "IDC3207I REMAINDER OF COMMAND INPUT STREAM IGNORED".

>> /* rexx - set return code based on parm */
>>
>Again, thanks, but not self-contained.  I could do the
>equivalent in one HLASM job step with SYSPARM and MNOTE,
>I think.

Not sure what your point is about not self-contained. If it
was a HLASM program would that be okay?  Why is this any
worse than a IDCAMS or some other program that needs a
STEPLIB?

//S1  EXEC PGM=IRXJCL,PARM='SETRC 4095'
//SYSTSIN  DD DUMMY
//SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSEXEC  DD DSN=REXX.EXEC.LIB,DISP=SHR

> So far, IDCAMS is simplest for the function
>I want.  And no one has reacted with outraged accusations
>of abusive programming.

Nothing wrong.  I've seen it used for exactly this purpose
many times.   If 0-16 is all you need, why write / use
another program (in any language).

Regards,

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America and Farmers Insurance Group