I agree with most of what everone has added to this thread, and I wanted to
point out again that z/VM, while it's a nice product to have, is just way
too expensive and quite unnecessary to use for just a small number of
z/Linux LPARs.  I think that most existing z/800 and z/890 processor
complexes probably already have been delivered with an IFL, and not to use
it by running a z/Linux LPAR is really a waste.  I also agree that if you
have to pay for one now, that a Zaap is a pretty good deal and can pay for
itself if you aren't going to run a z/Linux LPAR.  But the IFL is great
otherwise.

Additionally, I have successfully configured multiple non-IBM servers that
were previously running Linux and Windows to run the same workload on a
z/Linux LPAR and the performance has always been much better.  Obviously the
hardware reliability is always better on the mainframe, and the cost
(without z/VM) is almost non-existent (again, assuming you already have the
IFL sitting there).

Brian