On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:49:08 -0500, John Benik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is there a good general rule for configuring PAVs and Base Volumes.  It
>seems as though there are a number of ways that people have configured
>this.  Some have done it one for one, others have chosen 2 or more base
>volumes per PAV and others have chosen more PAVs then base volumes in some
>cases we have seen 10 pavs to one base volume??  Any help or suggestions
>would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about any ROT but I can tell you what we did that seemed to
work out.   1 base + 1 alias for all 3390-3 and 1 base + 2 aliases for
all 3390-9.  This is for static PAVs. YMMV.

If you can use WLM assigned PAVs instead of static PAVs, do so.

We still run with the static PAVs in one environment that shares
DASD between two sysplexes (MII) to prevent any PAV "alias thrashing".
The other environments now run with dynamically assigned aliases (WLM).
EMC didn't always support that but I'm pretty sure all the DMX boxes
do and probably the older EMC boxes do at the proper microcode levels.

Cheers,

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America and Farmers Insurance Group