From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Knutson, Sam
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 3:47 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Can't vary offline

I think you will have to zap the UCB to get it varied offline.  If I

remember correctly volumes on which a link list data set is present at
IPL

have an "early" open done against them but never a close.  Mind you I
don't

advocate you do this just a memory that I did something similar on one
of my

development systems with TMONMVS.

Peter can provide a more detailed  explanation I expect.

The safe and sane way to free up that volume is to IPL when it is

convenient.  Ask yourself what is the consequence to you and to the
business

if you don't get it offline today but three weeks from now?  Is it worth

taking a risk even a small one (say for arguments sake that what I
suggest

would work but you make a mistake and zap the wrong piece of common
storage

and the system falls down).

Patience is an virtue when it comes to availability.  There are old
systems

programmers and bold systems programmers but very few old, bold systems

programmers:-)

            Best Regards,

                        Sam Knutson, GEICO

                        Performance and Availability Management

                        mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                        (office)  301.986.3574

Some people hope to achieve immortality through their works or their

children. I would prefer to achieve it by not dying. - Woody Allen