We had an excessive disabled spin loop due to an RSM bug that we didn't have
the fix for yet. So far, so bad.
As the person also responsible for system automation, I have been asked to
'automate iee178i' to 1. appear red on the console and 2. send an email when
the spin occurs.

When I looked at routing and descriptor codes for this message, it shows
that it is issued synch=yes, and that rang the bell that this message will
not be presented the usual way and in fact will only be presented to
automation after the spin loop has been resolved. Right, Scott? (in which
case we don't need it red and we don't want an email anymore).

Now my problem: About four sysprogs were in the room the consoles are, and
all of them swear that they haven't seen the message.
All of our consoles are behind 2074s, and I have no idea how this spin loop
message would be presented on a 2074 screen or the PCOMM session behind the
2074. (I know that the wait state message after v xcf,offline) is seen for
about a second on such a screen before the 'initial screen' is shown again -
the one that tells us that we have an IP connection).

Yes, we do have a console group for synchdest messages that includes the HMC
and all consoles with master authority - in this case just one, it is a
monoplex. The sysprogs say that they haven't seen the HMC operating system
message icon flash blue (I am not really convinced of that, they were IPLing
another system and were expecting the wait state message for the other
system.)

Does anyone have an idea how iee178i is presented on a 2074 session? Will it
just appear at the top of the screen as long as the spin loop lasts and then
the console is restored to its former display?

We are running SA/390 but are not using any proc/ops functionality. How are
other shops dealing with notifications for synchdest messages when there is
no operator around?

Thanks for reading through this, best regards, Barbara Nitz