On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 14:46:34 -0500, Ron Wells wrote:

>reason asking is Java pgm'r was curious as why Java did not have something
>on the z/OS platform without the HFS/ZFS restriction(need)..

I'm trying to imagine the mind set of a Java programmer who
perceives HFS/ZFS as a "restriction".  This seems similar to
a requirement to design a fish without the "restriction(need)"
for water.

>From:
>"McKown, John" <jmck...@healthmarkets.com>
>Date:
>08/03/2009 02:42 PM
>
>specialized class loader. The heart of loading a Java program is the class
>loader. I can imagine a class loader which could load classes from a PDS.
>One of the main problems would be the 8 character limit on member names in
>a PDS.

Doesn't PDSE relax the 8 character limit somewhat (for aliases
anyway)?  But perhaps not enough for Java.

<HIJACK> From the gossip about Java byte code, this
might be strong motivation for RM=64.  </HIJACK>

-- gil