On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 18:04:19 -0400, Gerhard Postpischil <gerh...@valley.net>
wrote:

>gsg wrote:
>> How do you make a job non-swappable?  Can this be set somewhere in z/OS?

There are plenty of jobs that make themselves non-swappable during certain
processing.  Is this an IMS, IDMS, Datacom or some other database batch
job or a job interfacing with some STC / ISV software?

>Issue SYSEVENT DONTSWAP or TRANSWAP, depending on what you need.
>  Many moons ago we had a "loved one" bread and butter
>application that ran like a dog. I wrote a small front-end with
>TRANSWAP, then invoked it; from then on it ran considerably
>better. But you need to use this sparingly, as it affects other
>tasks.

That is true.  10 years ago, perhaps I might have looked closer, but these
days I never bat an eyelash over anything non-swappable.    Most STCs
are and they are the ones that usually have  the big working sets.   Which
of course makes sense.  You don't want to swap all that storage out anyway
(even though it's all logical swap now).

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com