On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 18:04:19 -0400, Gerhard Postpischil wrote:

>  Many moons ago we had a "loved one" bread and butter
>application that ran like a dog. I wrote a small front-end with
>TRANSWAP, then invoked it; from then on it ran considerably
>better. But you need to use this sparingly, as it affects other
>tasks.

When an address space is non-swappable, it can still have its pages stolen.
 In the case of an address space that becomes inactive for a long period of
time, swap in can actually be more efficient in getting it back in storage
than having to suffer many page faults.

Of course, these days it is much less of an issue than it once was.

--
Tom Marchant