-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Scott Rowe
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 12:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: DASD: to share or not to share

I think the real question here is: Why don't you have a SYSPLEX?  There
is =
little to no cost involved, and many benefits.

>>> Frank Swarbrick <frank.swarbr...@efirstbank.com> 8/6/2009 12:15 PM

<SNIPPAGE>

We're slowly coming to this realization.  We don't have a Sysplex, and
shar=
ing PDSE's, while it works somewhat, doesn't work that great.  My
personal =
libraries are PDSEs and if I am logged on to both PROD and DEV at the
same =
time I have to make sure I am not trying to edit members in the same
PDSE i=
n both environments.  Blech.  I thought PDSEs were the future?

<SNIPPAGE>

If you set this up correctly, you will get Record Level Locking for VSAM
which will give you some benefits that you lost in moving from VSE. It
is something to think about, if you are heavily using VSAM with onlines
and batch.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --