<snip>
> > If you set this up correctly, you will get Record Level
> Locking for VSAM
> > which will give you some benefits that you lost in moving
> from VSE. It
> > is something to think about, if you are heavily using VSAM
> with onlines
> > and batch.
>
> Can you explain this a bit more?  I will admit to not even
> knowing how this works on VSE.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

It is VSAM Record Level Sharing (not Locking).

VSAM/RLS requires a Parallel Sysplex (Coupling Facility) to work. But it
basically allows you to share a single VSAM file in read/write mode between
CICS regions with integrity. In addition, it allows batch to have READ-ONLY(!)
access to the same file, again with read integrity. If you need to share a VSAM
file in READ-WRITE mode between one or more CICS and/or batch jobs (i.e. full
sharing in R/W mode between any number of CICS and batch jobs concurrently),
then you need an extra charge feature called "Transactional VSAM" aka DFSMStvs.
This builds on top of VSAM/RLS, so you need VSAM/RLS working before using it.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell