Ted MacNEIL wrote:
And apparently still doesn't.  By a crude experiment:

   //STEP    EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
   //STEPLIB  DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.LINKLIB,BLKSIZE=1

Worked fine.

Of course it did!
IEFBR14 has (effectively) two instructions:

   SR 15,15
   BR 14

NO open.

(But did I really test what I thought I tested?)

I don't think so, there used to be a minimum BLKSIZE of 18, but that's not
detected until you try to open the DSN.
No open; no error.
IEFBR14 does no open.

I think what he Gill was testing was that program fetch didn't care
about blksize, in which case I think he did test it, and got the
result I would expect. There may have been a time when program fetch
cared, but if so, I don't remember it.

By the way I think the 18 byte minimum was only for tape.

--
Richard