Jim

> I will spare all who have been reading all the history of this on IBMMAIN
about my strong recommendation for those running SNA networks to strongly
consider the need for a "SNA Firewall".

Which means you haven't spared us at all! I recognise a "trick" to which I
succumb myself when the occasion demands it!

> Native SNA with VTAM no matter how it is configured in the eyes of even
those who do it well, does not meet US Government security mandates.

FUD piled upon FUD. Prove it - perhaps with just one of those famous "20+"
ways and now the proof will need to include some sort of reference to the
violated "US Government security mandate".

> There are all too few people who even understand VTAM any more to make
a good attempt at it.

So it's less expensive to purchase the "SNA firewall" product than to train
staff to understand the existing products for which they are responsible? And
what about training staff to understand the "SNA firewall" product so that it
can be used effectively?

> Hopefully those who are skeptical will do independent research, consult with
really smart people in the know and make a decision as to whether it is wise
move to bullet proof your SNA network.

I have no argument with getting in a consultant to review the use of the
products providing SNA connectivity, just about inevitably bound up with
products - even the same product if we are dealing with z/OS Communications
Server - providing IP connectivity.

I would suggest that - as you should hire a genuinely independent financial
advisor when asking about insurance - you hire a consultant who has no
connection with the marketing of products which might be on offer. All this to
happen *after* you have ensured that the existing in-house expertise is fully
developed in what can be achieved with the products for which you are
already paying.

> I made my replies back in January 2009 in IBM items 97253 and 97522. No
one has contacted me further for specific information (which I remember - am
a very old guy and maybe it slipped by me).

Why should they? They have all been waiting for an explanation of those
famous "20+" ways!

> My intention was to alert people to the 1+ years of investigation,
skepticism, and proof others were accessing my SNA network and not having
a clue how it could be happening.

"Alerting people" and spreading FUD are two sides of the same coin. Without
some proof of what may well be inaccurate suggestions, the "alerting" is at
best unreliable.

> The interconnection of SNA networks to a trading partner also means you
very, very likely connected to their interconnections, etc.

Of course, you are. And VTAM development understood and understands this
and, from the dawn of SNI, provided the definition possibilities to deal with
just allowing the intended sessions to be possible between enterprises
interconnected with SNI. Moreover, just gaining knowledge, possibly useful to
a competitor, of the adjacent *configuration* is specifically prevented by the
popular "back-to-back" structure - and - if specified, is blocked by
definitions
within NetView Session Monitor, originally Network Logical Data Manager
(NLDM).

As I demonstrated in answer to your post in the thread "Mainframe Hacking",
where you tried most recently to push the supposed need for an "SNA
firewall", from what you described, what you needed was provided by VTAM
and was described in this thread back in January.

> I do not have the time and expertise to take up a skeptical world to prove
this is true.

Given what this implies it might be better if you had not taken up this topic
in
the first place - and you've done it twice! And how do you justify "Right now I
understand there are 20+ ways which VTAM/SNA systems have been
compromised" if you can't explain what they are?

> That is why I have sought out very smart people who specialize in areas.
Google can be a great starter using "SNA FIREWALL APPN" ...

I just tried. For some reason Google isn't very good at including "APPN" in the
search which is a bit frustrating. When I finally got to posts that didn't say
something like "I don't know SNA security very well", I found that I was
dealing with marketing pages for products, the very thing I am trying to avoid!

For interest I added the search word "CDINIT" since often the imagined
problems involve searching and a "technical" word should limit the search
to "technical" items. The pickings were now much slimmer, just 60 and you
need to "repeat the search with the omitted results included", otherwise it's
less than 20. They include these posts, of course, and SHARE presentations
from IBMers.

Come on, that "20+" is quite specific, you must have got that number from
somewhere other than going through "2 million+" Google hits!

> ... and one should never take the word of someone on IBMMAIN without
doing their homework.

Agreement at last, and, in this case, start with understanding how to use the
products you already have.

Chris Mason