Hi Phil,

As mentioned previously the only thing that really matters is the FC domain ID, it's sometimes called the switch ID, but just to be awkward HCD allows a separate switch address. Yes you can make them different, but unless you're after a headache always make them the same.

In HCD you only code Hex, but the SAN world has a habit of using decimal.

Ok, so 41 and 43 look like hex versions of 65 & 67.. (where are you seeing this reported from ..The HMC/SingleObject is a good place to get the domain id of switch connected to the CHPID - and its in Hex)

As for the other CU end, where are the 66 and 68 being reported from? The SAN guys? Fabric Manager? In both cases you'll probably get decimal. So my guess is they could be 42 and 44, but you really need to check that.

As for Switch address/IDs in HCD well all of them are valid switch addresses once you get the hex vs decimal right, they are all used in different places

You define the CUs as being attached to the CU Switch Address/ports and you define the Chpids being attached to the chpid switch addresses/ports...all in hex..and then when you connect the CU to a CEC, you specify cc.xxyy, with cc=chpid, xx= CU switch ID, yy= CU port.

So if my guess is right you should be coding:

24.4208
26.4408

Also are these switches in an existing Cascaded environment? If not then you might want to check that the switches have been setup correctly for cascading.

Cheers

Roy

Phil Kingston wrote:
Hi All,

We need Cascaded switches as we are trying to connect a z9 to a TS7740 at a remote site through two switches across a DWDM.

The Domain ID's are 65,66,67 and 68. 65 and 67 are Ficon channel attached and the other 2 66 and 68 are connected to the CU's. Now the Channel end should just be the domain id? is this Hex or Decimal. It looks like although I have defined 65 and 67 it's getting reported as x'41' and x'43'. The CU end is a connection between the switch and the TS7740 and is supposed to defined as xxyy where xx is the switch address and yy is the port. This is being reported as 6608 and 6808. Now what I dont know is if 66 and 68 is the Switch address or if x'41' and x'43' is the switch id required by HCD. What number is supposed to be Hex and which one decimal. It's all a bit confusing???