IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> Skip Robinson wrote
on Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:13:58 -0700

>Maybe I'm overly jittery, but I'm actually more concerned about user
>catalogs for CICS regions. These catalogs are shared among all members
>of a sysplex. If we have to take down all regions to rebuild catalogs,
>that is >effectively a sysplex-wide outage whether or not we IPL.

Yes, Skip, Mainstar's Catalog RecoveryPlus (CR+) will remove IMBED and
REPLICATE from your user catalogs  --  non-disruptively (i.e., while
open)  --  to any of the CICS or batch regions that currently have data
sets open through these catalogs.  CR+ has a REORG While-Open command
that works with any ICF catalog (except a master catalog that's
currently in use as a master catalog)  --  whether in VVDS-mode or
ECS-mode sharing, across any number of systems.

REORG will also allow you to change any attribute of the catalog,
including release of extra extents that might exist following the reorg,
primary and secondary extent allocation sizes, CI size changes,
FREESPACE changes, and buffering values, and SMS class definitions.

Mainstar is more than happy to provide CR+ to you on a short-term basis,
at no charge, to run this command against any catalog to remove IMBED
and/or REPLICATE, and to make any attribute changes.  Let me know
offline if this is of interest to you.

Best regards,
Ron Ferguson
Mainstar Software Corporation