>It might be nice if there was an IPL parm / option to have the NIP messages
>stop and prompt you to continue when a screen fills up similar to SAD.
>With emulated consoles, the messages scroll by so fast it can be nearly
>impossible to look for something you want to see except after the fact
>by examining the syslog / operlog.    The only other option is to
>disconnect the consoles and use the HMC, which you can scroll.

SAD does that? (Stop and prompt, I mean) I guess only on a 'real' console, not
on the HMC, right? The last sadumps I have taken were all taken using the
HMC, so I haven't noticed that prompt.

<musings on>
Before MCS consoles become available (iea549i), there are about 670 "NIP"
message lines on the system I just looked at, and the usual bits for
suppression don't work before console address space id full yfunctional.
Assuming 25 lines per screen (for easier division) that means about 27 or 28
prompts, depending on the amount of XCF signalling messages you get.
Also, *before* MCS consoles, we are talking synchdest WTORs (IIRC), which
means the system doesn't go on with the IPL until the prompt has been
answered. Considering what havoc a half-XCF-init'd system can cause
because it cannot answer to signalling anymore while waiting for the operator
to reply, I would agree, that yes, it would be nice to be able to 'see' these
messages, but I think it is unlikely that IBM would implement something like
this.

In those 670 lines there isn't the message that says the bpxprmxx was found
and read. And I know for a fact that a syntax error in that member will cause
a synchdest wtor prompting for a correct member. (Guess how the syntax
checker for bpxprm was 'invented' - after outage of a productive sysplex
because the test system was IPL'd and had a syntax error in bpxprm.
Operating did not notice the WTOR, the system did not update its heartbeat
anymore, XCF message buffers rapidly built up, things got disrupted.) So
the 'NIP' messages may not even be finished after those 670 lines in my
example.
<musings off>

But thanks for pointing me to check the consolxx messages during NIP -
cleanup is necessary there! :-(

Regards, Barbara