From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Pommier, Rex R.
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 4:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: DFSMS and deleting expired data sets by management class

Colleen,

I'll try turning backup off and see if they go away tonight.

Just for my own knowledge, with the number of datasets deleted set to 1,
I have to have a backup before it will allow expiration?  I was under
the impression that this was more of a maximum number of backups to keep
for a deleted dataset.  IOW, in this case, I have # backups of deleted
set to 1, # of backups of active dataset set to 3, and retain days only
backup set to 2.  Given these numbers I thought the system would keep up
to 3 backups of primary datasets, and when the primary gets deleted, it
would also delete any backups I have greater than one, if they exist,
and then after 2 days delete the last backup.  I didn't think it
required a backup before deleting the primary.

Rex