>What __might__ be nice. And __would__ prove TSO is not moribund. Would
>be to have a TSO capability via native TCP/IP. Unfortunately, it appears that
>the 3270 terminal architecture is so imbedded into TSO that such would be
>very difficult. Which translates to expensive and time consuming. Better to
>replace TSO entirely. Which RD/z (or whatever its called now) is trying to do.
>Unfortunately, compared to TSO and ISPF, RD/z is horribly expensive. Like
>most "advanced" things on z/OS. <insert usual complaint about the cost of
>z/OS software here>

"Native TCP/IP" may be at the wrong level. TN3270 runs over "Native TCP/IP"
and provides the protocol for positioning output data, identifying input data,
standardizing screen sizes in terms of character and line counts, etc. "Native
TCP/IP" would only provide message traffic, but no formatting.

Yet, any TSO replacement that expects to support the many existing ISPF
and other 3270-style data displays would have to still present data in a very
similar manner.

Also,I don't believe the issue is so much with the VTAM side of things, either.
VTAM can support full duplex just fine.

Based on observation, I believe TSO applications are designed so that they
each expect to have full control of the display. Actually, after thinking about
it a bit, the line-mode (pre SPF) applications are entirely half-duplex
functions.
Following in that design, ISPF does not allow subtasks to run (AFAIR) when
the application is waiting for input. Thus, having multiple tasks performing
separate functions and updating different parts of the display image is not
supported in TSO.

That is not to say that such functions cannot be supported.

Many years ago, when I worked at a TCAM shop, and microfiche of much of
the IBM source code was still available, my employer had a requirement to
access TSO on multiple systems using a single terminal. TCAM had a
restriction in its design of TSO that only allowed terminals to use TSO on the
same system that owned the terminal. I dug into the code and found that all
of the key routines for TSO had common code, except when they had to work
specifically with the access method. So, sprinkled through IBM's code were
tests of a bit in a control block to see if the user was using TCAM or VTAM.
Since we didn't have VTAM, I stole each of those branch points, and inserted
my own code. The end result was that I had effectively rewritten TSO as a
straight TCAM application, which did not have the afore-mentioned limitation
of which systems it could run on.

Having been inside that code, I believe an enterprising person or group could,
with relative ease (perhaps depending on skill and determination) build code
using the former TCAM intercepts, and redesign some of the TSO functions to
support whatever design they needed. Digging through long-forgotten
memory, some of those points to examine are address space create, address
space termination, plus SVC's 93 and 94. For direct TCPIP use, the application
would also have to listen on a socket, accept an initial contact and start
another address space, which would run the main TSO functions for that user
(LOGON, input, output, etc).

Now, the other end of the issue is what the user has for their portal. Is it
using a 3270 emulator? Is it expecting HTML? What about JAVA or something
else? The display function and the TSO emulator have to be compatible.