On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:24:00 -0500, Martin Kline <martin.kl...@yrcw.com> wrote:

>"Native TCP/IP" may be at the wrong level. TN3270 runs over "Native TCP/IP"
>and provides the protocol for positioning output data, identifying input data,
>standardizing screen sizes in terms of character and line counts, etc. "Native
>TCP/IP" would only provide message traffic, but no formatting.

Perhaps I should have said a TCPIP socket application which is not dependent
on VTAM. In fact, I was thinking more in terms of how X11 seems to work.

>Yet, any TSO replacement that expects to support the many existing ISPF
>and other 3270-style data displays would have to still present data in a very
>similar manner.

Very true and a major "stumbling block".

>Also,I don't believe the issue is so much with the VTAM side of things, either.
>VTAM can support full duplex just fine.
>
>Based on observation, I believe TSO applications are designed so that they
>each expect to have full control of the display. Actually, after thinking about
>it a bit, the line-mode (pre SPF) applications are entirely half-duplex
functions.
>Following in that design, ISPF does not allow subtasks to run (AFAIR) when
>the application is waiting for input. Thus, having multiple tasks performing
>separate functions and updating different parts of the display image is not
>supported in TSO.

Perhaps what is needed is something akin to X11's control of the screen.
Each application then has a logical screen which maps onto the physical
screen. Each application updates it own logical screen, asynchronously. Only
one screen receives keyboard / mouse messages.

Or, perhaps simplest would be to just allow one TSO user to logon to
multiple TSO session concurrently and run ISPF on each session. z/OS 1.10
now allows the sharing of ISPF profiles. But this does not address the
original desire of having a field like a counter which is asynchronously
updated. But that would be an application design issue if we could get
around the implicit "half duplex" screen mentality of TSO.

--
John