John Mattson wrote:
>         I am learning this as I go. As I understand it, SSH supports
> higher security levels (management wants this) than SSL/TLS.  And SSL

??? but SSH uses the very same SSL under the covers ... how does it
support higher security levels?
> requires Certificate authority and such which management does not want to

we generate our own Certificate Authority certificate and all of our
server certificates via RACF/RACDCERT.  all of our emulators
(Hummingbird HostExplorer, x3270, Brown-tn3270, etc.) have had no
problems with it.
> pay for.  Attachmate website "says" they can do SSH with their emulator,
> so at least someone thinks it is possible.

you could always tunnel plain tn3270 over SSH ... but just using the
built-in tn3270E with SSL/TLS and any number of free or commercial
tn3270E clients will be much easier and be just as secure ...

--Stephen

Stephen Y. Odo
Systems Engineering                        e-mail: step...@hawaii.edu
Information Technology Services             phone:      (808)956-2383
University of Hawai'i                         FAX:      (808)956-2412
U5 Girls/Boys Master Coach
U16/U19 Girls Age Group Coordinator
Assistant Region Registrar
AYSO Honolulu Region 178                   e-mail:       s...@lava.net