gib...@wsu.edu (Gibney, Dave) writes:
>   You are not correct. You can make SSL optional and therefore clear if
> it is not used, if the connection is secure, all data (including
> Userid/password) is encrypted.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009m.html#5 Need new 3270 emulator: SSH,
inexpensive, reliable

most SSL implementations just has the client validating the server's
digital certificate and then validating whether or not the domain name
claimed in the digital certificate corresponds to the domain name in the
URL used to contact the server (countermeasure to ip-address
hijacking). then the server's public key is used to exchange a symmetric
key ... for encryption of the actual session (des, aes, blowfish,
whatever). then, once the encrypted session is established, client
typically presents userid/password for authentication.

we had been called in to consult with a small client/server startup that
wanted to do payment transactions on their server ... and the startup
had invented this technology called SSL that they wanted to use. As part
of that deployment ... now frequently called "electronic commerce"
... we had to investigate some number of these new operations called
"Certification Authorities" that were issuing things called "digital
certificates".

Also as part of deploying a payment gateway ... requiring SSL for
payment transactions between the webserver and the payment network
... we mandated "mutual authentication" ... which hadn't yet been
implemented at the time (aka client does public key authentication of
the server ... and the server does public key authnetication of the
client ... no passwords). By the time we were done ... the payment
gateway operation looked much more like SSH ... since both the payment
gateway and the webservers had preregistered information about each
other (the things called "digital certificates" became purely artificial
side-effect of the SSL code library being used). misc. past posts
mentioning original payment gateway deployment
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#gateway

SSH has the advantage (compared to typical SSL use) that both parties
does "mutual" public key authentication of the other party w/o requiring
digital certificates and w/o requiring passwords.

some number of generic past posts mentioning public key operations w/o
using (redundant and superfluous) digital certificates.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#certless

the other issue with SSL ... was that there were some number of
requirements about how it was implemented and deployed in order to
satisfy security requirements ... many of which were almost immediately
violated ... and have subsequently, over the past 15 yrs or so ... have
led to a whole lot of exploits and compromises. part of it involves the
complexity and indirection introduced by these things called "digital
certificates". some number of past posts mentioning SSL (domain name)
digital certificates
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#sslcerts

and from long ago and far away ... nearly three decade old email
discussing for a PGP-like (certificate-less) public key implementation
on the internal network:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007d.html#email810506
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email810516

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970