----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Gilmartin" <paulgboul...@aim.com>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: Software delivery via internet or tape

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:38:39 -0400, Pinnacle wrote:

The timeout issues occur because SMP/E spawns (forks?) a Unix process to
unspin the tarball.  For humongous tarballs, you can get S522 waiting for
the process to get back to the SMP/E batch job.  You can also run into
storage issues as well, as the old default of 64M just ain't enough anymore.
I submitted RCF's to have the SMP/E User's guide show TIME=1440 and
REGION=0M in the standard SMP/E JCL. The book's been updated, so you should
be running in TIME=1440 or TIME=NOLIMIT, and REGION=0M.

Since some installations discourage REGION=0M (and NOLIMIT?)
specific values might be more useful.

-- gil

Gil,

We're talking systems programmers running SMP/E jobs. If a site doesn't allow sysprogs to run TIME=1440 and/or REGION=0M, that is just plain wrong.

Regards,
Tom Conley