Bob Shannon wrote:
I don't understand why the vendors are populating the libraries in PDSE

If any of the features of Program Objects are required, then PDSEs are
mandatory, i.e., Program Objects cannot reside in PDSs. I suspect the majority
of vendors use PDSs unless their code requires PDSEs.

So far, we still deliver all of our software in PDS-eligible format. (No program objects yet.)

I have seen some customers allocate PDSE for our libraries. Though not necessary from a program perspective, it might be because they like the performance and features offered by PDSE.

In our shop we use SMS to assign default data classes that specify "Data Set Name Type . . . . . : LIBRARY". So, if you think you're allocating a PDS in batch, it's really a PDSE unless you specify DSNTYPE=PDS to explicitly override this behavior.

That could be true in those customer sites as well. Our batch jobs that allocate target libraries as part of product installation do not specify DSNTYPE at all...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc