In a recent note, ibm-main said:

> Date:         Sun, 2 Oct 2005 05:53:34 +1000
>
> From: "Robert A. Rosenberg"
>
> > In changing the DSNs in the DDDEFs, I noticed the DSNTYPE field
> > (which was already filled in for a few LOADLIB datasets which were
> > shipped as PDSEs not PDSs) and was wondering. I assume that this
> > field IS important for HFS files.
>
> Nope - no-on cares about HFSs, only what's in them.
> Go read up on "path" in the SMP/E reference.

A fortiori: the section on DDDEF says that PATH is mutually
exclusive with DSNTYPE.

Unfortunately, loc. cit. continues, saying:

       * PATH is meaningful only in a target zone DDDEF entry, because
       the information is used only for processing a target zone.

... whereas, in:

4.0           Chapter 4.  SMP/E Data Sets and Files

4.23 SMPNTS
   1. The SMPNTS can be defined to SMP/E only with a DD statement
      or a DDDEF.

4.38 SMPWKDIR
   [ noncommittal ]

So, SMPNTS can be defined with a DDDEF, presumably containing a
PATH subentry.  But PATH is meaningful only in a target zone
DDDEF entry, whereas SMPNTS is used only doing a RECEIVE in the
GLOBAL zone.  Sounds like an editorial lapse.  I wonder what
Kurt Q. has to say on this.

Is DDDEF SMPWKDIR permitted?  What zone.  I've always used a
JCL DD statement in the RECEIVE step.

Now that DF/SMS permits BPAM access to HFS directories, and
they can therefore be used in HLASM SYSLIB, I wonder if SMP/E
supports use of HFS directories in SYSLIB concatenations?
Must try.

-- gil
--
StorageTek