Daniel Erdmann wrote:
2009/9/15 Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com>

Daniel Erdmann wrote:

Our development staff is going to develop new programs in Java instead of
COBOL.

Using the same staff of programmers that wrote the COBOL code?

No, most of the Java programmers developed programs for application servers
before, respectively they're still doing.

Ah. I ask because Jonathan Sayles, and some others, insist
that long time COBOL programmers can't learn Java. So your
situation doesn't confirm nor deny that. Sounds like a mass
evacuation of experienced staff, either voluntarily or
otherwise.

Good luck.

At all we're currently just testing Java for batch programs, and it's not
the application development who wants to abend, but the operating - and so
the development staff was directed to program in a way as described above,
means 'let the program abend instead of returning RC != 0'.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques

==> Ask about being added to our opt-in list:              <==
==>   * Early announcement of new courses                  <==
==>   * Early announcement of new techincal papers         <==
==>   * Early announcement of new promotions               <==