On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 21:41:52 +0000, Ted MacNEIL  wrote:

>>Thee is an obvious need for lifting the 100-byte limit on parms, but
>it needs to be done in a way that allows old programs to continue
>to work.
>
>100 bytes is only a limit for programmes called through JCL.
>If a programme calls another, with standard linkage, the length
>can be a lot longer.  I don't know what the limit is, but I've
>called with up to 750 bytes.

That depends on the format of the PARM (or the expectation
of the called program).  For the conventional 16-bit length
prefix, the limit is obviously 65535 (again, depending on
how the called program interprets it).  I just tried a
Rexx LINKMVS:

    P=left('', 999999, x); address LINKPGM 'IEFBR14  P'; say RC
    0

... almost a million character PARM (no problem for IEFBR14),
with RC=0.

I'm not making this up.  For an example of passing a PARM without
a 16-bit length field, see 'SYS1.SAMPLIB(CSFTEST)'.

-- gil