On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:24:25 +1200, Gainsford, Allen wrote:

>Seems to me that it would be cleaner, and probably make more sense, if JCL
>supported a PARMX parameter which was *not* passed to programs in the normal
>way.  Instead, provide a way for programs to *ask* for the PARMX: a macro
>for Assembler programs, and an LE call for HLLs.  This would not break any
>compatibility at all.

But it doesn't solve Eileen Barkow's problem with CICS, nor
does it provide any benefit to numerous other programs such
as BPXBATCH which expect long strings, possibly containing
UNIX path names, in the standard R1 PARM.

But that *could* be resolved with an AC=0 wrapper that
copied PARMX to the R1 PARM and invoked a target program.

-- gil