When I started at P&H Mining in 1985, there was approximately 35-40 mainframe shops within driving distance of my house in Milwaukee. Now there are 10-12. These are not hard numbers, but my impression. I'm sure someone at IBM could give hard numbers, at least for now, but I'll bet they won't.

Back in 1985, I knew a few people who changed jobs every year. There was a heck of a lot more movement then. Now, people stay put and hope their job lasts until they retire. I know a couple places in Milwaukee that were getting off the mainframe - one says it will stay, and the other is in the 5th year or so (I don't remember exactly) of a 3 year plan to get off, but signed a 3 year lease on a new machine a year or two ago.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. Systems Programmer
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
414-475-7434

----- Original Message ----- From: "Howard Rifkind" <ibm_m...@yahoo.com>
I used to think that there wasn't enough experienced (10-15+ years) out there anymore.

But that was when I was working on a full time job and the economy hadn't bellied up yet.

When I was laid off from a NYC bank I got a rude awaking as to how many of us older folks are now out there looking for work...contract or anything else.

The bad economic situation and fewer mainframes is the kiss of death.