"A clear violation of the principle of least astonishment" was a
phrase first used in my presence by Jim Doody (then) of Marine
Midland Bank at a GUIDE meeting in 1975. It was obvious what it
meant, but I cornered him afterwards to ask him about it.

He did not claim originality. It stuck in my mind, so I wrote
wrote it on a 5081 punched card, and displayed it on the cork
boards above my desk for a number of years afterwards (along
with a number of other great quotes from Jim and others). Jim
told me, perhaps in jest (but you never knew), that he stole
it from Ron Higgin. Regardless, in 1975 both Jim and Ron (and
as far as the audience reaction [laughter] evidenced, a number
of others) considered it to be in the vernacular.

Since I had the habit of writing the (current) date on all of
my cute "card notes" I know for a fact that the year was 1975.

--
WB