I do not object at all to the buffering products which are used to compensate
for VSAM applications where the programmers know nothing about VSAM and
allocate them with no consideration to performance. As an aside, I have also
found Systems Programmers have little clue about VSAM files and blindly follow
IBM recommendations when they install system level software which needs
VSAM files. A running product which dynamically adjusts the buffers will
forgive many sins.

I’d like to offer some other alternatives. One is to train staff in the use of
VSAM and what are good VSAM files and what are not so good ones. Besides
performance considerations, there are space allocations which can be
outrageous because of inefficient CI and CA sizes BUT they still work for the
application. I can hear the moans and groans already from all over the world
saying something like, “Ya, Jim, you are an old guy who lived through all this
but we have more important things to do getting all this Web stuff working on
the mainframes, etc”.   This was the same argument I used back in the 20th
Century getting all the things updated from MVT to MVS to XA to ESA to
OS390.  Usually I do not tell stories but this one will make a point.

In 1975 I was in the Air Force in Colorado and got grabbed to come to the
Pentagon to be trained as a MVT Sysprog. The person I replaced was Sgt Ron
Ferguson who decided to exit after 4 years to make big bucks as a Contractor
eventually working for Boeing Computer Services. Ron got in on the ground
floor of VSAM and stayed in it for his whole career. A number of you folks may
have heard of Ron who became the almost world’s expert in VSAM. He was
consulting, teaching all over and eventually founded his own firm SIS which
later became Mainstar and then he sold out to Rocket Software.  Along the
way Ron was asked to clone himself because the demand for VSAM consulting
and classes taught was greater than Ron could handle. In the late 1980s,
Artificial Intelligence was the rage.

In 1991-2000 after retiring from the Air Force I was working at Treasury with
a big “paying” customer using VSAM and it was my wife. She’d come home and
complain about her VSAM performance or maybe just how could she get her
batch jobs to run faster. I am not plugging this product but I would have
loved to have thought of it. Mainstar offered a software product called VSAM
Manager. It was the collective Artificial Intelligence of Ron built into a
product
which would read the VSAM file structure and give you recommendations
about CISIZE, CASIZE, buffers, splits, etc. It also would show you were the
splits occurring to give you a better idea of what was happening inside the
file. My wife could invoke this simple utility, take the recommendations, REORG
the files, and instantly she saved bunches of space and her jobs screamed
(I/O’s were reduced and elapsed times were really reduced).  I had one happy
customer and peace at home. I also found out veteran Sysprogs had system
stuff using VSAM files which were eating our lunch. Ron’s product convinced
even the most skeptical Sysprog how things could be improved and there was
no need to guess and hope it helped. So it depends on what someone wants
to improve. I needed to get performance gains and also reduce DASD space.
Even folks who thought they knew VSAM were amazed at the critique and
recommendations from Ron’s Wisdom.  People can try a number of ways to
solve the VSAM issue in any shop. I know the way I would go if I had to do it
all over again.

Oh yes, as I said Ron sold Mainstar and I understand retired in the Seattle
area and bought his very own Tug Boat to do things like chugging to Alaska.

Jim