On 5 Oct 2009 09:49:08 -0700, eamacn...@yahoo.ca (Ted MacNEIL) wrote:

>>I don't think so - as much as management would like to get rid of the
>>mainframe, they know that change is expensive.    The budget to replace
>>everything is huge in the short term, and the short term is very important to
>>them.
>
>I think you need to re-think that.
>Ask Eric Bielefield (if I mis-spelled that, Eric, I appologise), me, and a few
>others that have been down-sized due to M/F re-engineering (euphemism)
>projects.
>
>Regardless of the 'high' cost, it does happen.
>Remember, politics can/does trump budgeting!

It does.    Always.

But I disagree that the poor economy is to blame for this
"down-sizing", and I expect that when the economy gets better, the
process will accelerate.

Note that I have "down-sizing" in quotes.   The new downsized IS that
I've seen are bigger than what they replaced.    They are more spread
out though, with different budgets, and a lot more people in security
and infrastructure.