----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Jaffe" <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 3:14 PM
Subject: AMATERSE Even Less Device Independent Than Before

I know Paul Gilmartin will just love this...

With recent service applied, all of our jobs that UNPACK customer problem documentation to SYSOUT are failing with:

AMA584E  OUTPUT DEVICE TYPE IS UNSUPPORTED

The problem is easily demonstrated with this simple JCL:

//PACK     EXEC PGM=TRSMAIN,PARM=PACK
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//INFILE   DD DSN=SYS1.MACLIB(CVT),DISP=SHR
//OUTFILE  DD DSN=&&TERSE,UNIT=SYSALLDA,DISP=(,PASS),SPACE=(CYL,(1,1))
//*
//UNPACK   EXEC PGM=TRSMAIN,PARM=UNPACK
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//INFILE   DD DSN=&&TERSE,DISP=(OLD,DELETE)
//OUTFILE  DD SYSOUT=*

IBM describes the problem thusly...

+IBM                   -5752SC112  -                 09/10/05-10:20-
Action taken: With UA48655 applied on the system, AMADECS+x'175E' calls
the DEVTYPE macro.  Upon return, AMADECS checks the return code issued
from the SVC 24.  When the output device is to SYSOUT=*, the return code
being set from the SVC 24, is non-zero.  There are no additional checks
to see if the output device is SYSOUT=*.

Ed,

Did they give you the WAD here? Who does Service Aids at IBM? Should we mailbomb John Eells? Just kidding, but this should be escalated.

Regards,
Tom Conley