Edward Jaffe wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
Did they give you the WAD here?

No WAD yet...

Just had a close call with this. The support person suggested that, because the documentation doesn't explicitly state that OUTFILE can be sysout, it need not be supported and that any update should be handled through a new function APAR. My response was:

<ETR Response>
I'm not understanding the rationale that's being applied here. MVS utility input and output files are device independent unless explicitly stated otherwise. You might be too young to remember, but that's one of the tenets that originally separated MVS (was OS) from VSE (was DOS).

Utilities like IEBDG, IEBPTPCH, IEBGENER, etc. work just fine when the output file is sysout. You can even unload a PDS to sysout using IEBCOPY! (If you doubt the accuracy of that statement, try this:)

 // EXEC PGM=IEBCOPY
 //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
 //SYSIN    DD *
  COPY I=INDD,O=OUTDD
 //INDD     DD DSN=SYS1.MODGEN,DISP=SHR
 //OUTDD    DD SYSOUT=*

If your team is trying to avoid yet another PE on this chain, then a new function APAR is OK by me. But, we really don't want to have to wait until R12 or beyond to get a fix for this.
</ETR Response>

They opened APAR OA30714 to address the issue.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc