That was my original thought as well but that wasn't the problem.

When I first converted the CDS to disk, I wondered if I had to make the
pre-allocated datasets large enough to hold the maximum size they
would get but it appears that when the new disk backup is created, the
allocation is dynamically created to the current size of the file.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The actual problem was that the MCDS backup files had been migrated.
I didn't want to post it so that I wouldn't impact the feedback I got but
what I really want is to be able to confirm that REAS=0016 tells me
exactly that and where I can find that documented.

Thanks,
Gil.

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:40:09 -0500, Staller, Allan
<allan.stal...@kbm1.com> wrote:

>The CDS backup files on disk must be pre-allocated and large enough
>hold the contents of the CDS either in "unloaded" format or "repro"
>format. Most likely the backup file did not exist or ran out of space.
>
>There are other messages in the log that will clarify exactly what
>happened.
>
>HTH,
>
><snip>
>Hello all, I recently switched the CDS backups from tape to disk and all
>
>had been running smooth until this morning when I got the following
>error message:
>
>ARC0744E MCDS COULD NOT BE BACKED UP, RC=0020, 132
>ARC0744E (CONT.) REAS=0016. MIGRATION, BACKUP, FRBACKUP,
>DUMP, AND
>ARC0744E (CONT.) RECYCLE HELD.
>
>I believe I have found and corrected the problem and have run a
>BACKVOL CDS command to backup the cds's however, what bugs me is
>that when I look up the ARC0744I message via Quickref or Lookat, it
>tells me what RC=0020 means but it gives no indication of where to
>find the reason code.
></snip>

>send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-
MAIN INFO