On 19 Oct 2009 10:09:02 -0700, tz...@attglobal.net (Tony Harminc)
wrote:

>> I finally am going back to work on Monday.  I'll be working at the new IBM
>> call center in Dubuque, Iowa.  I'm not sure if later today I'll even be able
>> to see my IBM-Main messages when I leave Milwaukee.  I'll be living on a
>> farm in the country.  I'm not sure if I want to pay $60 to $80 a month for
>> internet access by either satellite or cell phone.  Time will tell.
>
>You'd think that of all things, a call centre would allow people to
>work from home. What is the point of making people move across the
>continent to do work they could be doing from anywhere? And I thought
>IBM had been a leader at allowing people to work from home. My
>neighbour, an IBM System z sales rep, hasn't had a desk at an IBM
>building for years He drops in to the office maybe once a week, but
>mostly he's either in his home office, or visiting customers.

An interesting thing about call centers is that they have to be 24x7.
Which is one reason companies are willing to try centers based in
India.    As far as working from home, I appreciate when I call for
assistance when people easily talk together about a problem, pulling
down resources, and having synergy that may be more useful than, say
programming.

>Regardless, congrats on getting something in these very trying times.

Same here.  I never spent time in Dubuque, but went to Drake (one
year) and Iowa State (BS), and have good memories of Iowa.