that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

dpurd...@aol.com (David Purdy) writes:
> Yup, Speed Matching Buffer is correct.  168 had timing issues with
> state-of-the-art 3380's (STK 8380's if I remember).  Worst thing was
> the 168 shared DASD with a 3033 - the 168 always came in second.

actually the 168 had "faster" channels than 3033. after the demise of
future system effort, there was a mad rush to get stuff into the 370
software&product pipeline. ... 303x was stop-gap while they got 3081 &
370-xa moving.

the 158 had integrated channels (same engine doing both 370 microcode
and channel microcode). they took 158 engine with only integrated
channel microcode and made it the 303x "channel director". A 3031 was
then a 158 engine with only 370 microcode and a 2nd 158 engine (channel
director) running only channel microcode. A 3032 as 168 reconfigured to
use "channel director" as enternal channels. 3033 started out being 168
logic using 20% chips (the chips also had something like 10 times the
number of circuits ... before product ship ... some amount of the logic
was redone to use the larger circuits per chip and got 3033 up to 1.5
times 168 ... instead of only 1.2 times).

In disk enginneering lab, I was doing channel processing overhead
timings ... latency to do a "head-switch" on 3330 disk drive (read/write
CCW, seak head, read/write CCW). 3330s could be formated with "dummy
records" that increased inter-record gap ... allowing timing latency to
insert a head-switch seek between the end of one record on a track and
the start of a next record on a different track (but same cylinder).
The size of the "dummy" record ... was adjusted to take into account
channel processing latency.

The "fastest" channel (lowest latency in terms of size of dummy record
to allow for channel latency) was 168, 148, 4341, etc. The slowest was
158 (needed larger dummy record ... to account for higher latency and
slower processing of 158 integrated channel). All of the 303x processing
(3031, 3032, 3033) with (158 engine) channel director had identical
operational characteristics to 158.

Now sjr (bldg. 28 across street from bldg. 14 & 15) for a time had a 168
MVS system and a 158 VM system. All of the 3330 strings were
interconnected ... but there was a "rule" that NO MVS packs would be
mounted on VM-designated strings ... because the enormous performance
penalty (drive, controller, channel) associated with common MVS
multi-track search operations.

One day, an operator, accidentially mount a MVS pack on a drive in a
VM-designated string. Within 10 minutes ... the datacenter was getting
irate calls from users regarding severe degraded performance. Operations
initially refused to switch the pack (to MVS-designated string) until
off-shift. The VM group had a VS1 sysetm that had been highly optimized
... especially for running under VM. They took the VS1 pack and placed
it on a MVS-designated string ... and started up standard sequence of
(OS360) multi-track searches (VTOC, PDS, etc) ... and nearly brought the
MVS system to its knews (i.e. the VS1 system on a VM/158 system nearly
resulting in stoping a MVS/168 system ... by being able to do better job
of multitrack searches). The nearly halting of the MVS/168 system ...
so slowed down the multi-track searchs on the mis-mounted MVS pack ...
that the VM/158 user throughput then nearly returned to normal (even
with the load of virtual VS1 keeping the MVS/168 system in check).

At that point, operations decided to immediately move the mis-mounted
MVS pack ... if the VM group would shutdown their virtual VS1 system.

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970